Thursday, February 28, 2013

Simply Amazing

22 weeks seizure free.




      I went to Benaiah's seizure tracker website and ran a report.  It is a great program, free and it keeps track of Benaiah's seizures.  Now, I wasn't so good at keeping the site up to date while we were in the States because of not having internet but I still ran the report and enjoyed seeing 5 consecutive months of being seizure free.  I wish I could figure out how to put the chart on here because it made me so thankful that he has very good seizure control.  He seems to have good control in late fall to spring.  Last year we made 6 months.  I wonder if we will make it longer this year.

     Also, it has come to my attention after reading some of the posts in my apraxia group that people really do not know what apraxia is or how a person feels with it.  So I will be posting different facts on Apraxia so that you can maybe understand Benaiah more.

    Some of the things I found really fit Benaiah.  Believe me, if you spend any time with him, you know he is smart.  I read today that having apraxia is like being tongue tied.  Can you imagine being tongue tied all the time?  I also found out that if a child with apraxia thinks he can't do it, he won't.  There is no way you can force him to talk and please, please, please, don't make fun of him or correct his speech.  For example. Benaiah says dink for drink.  This is a good aproximation for the word drink.  So dink is acceptable now.  Eventually, he will get the r sound but for now he doesn't have it.  Aproximations are allowed with apraxia.  Another thing, Benaiah gets very nervous when meeting strangers and or people he isn't comfortable with. He clams up or hides. This is part of apraxia.  Sometimes he needs to be by himself.  Today, he spent most of the day outside in the sand box by himself.  He talks now when he plays and he is saying more and more new words.
     
    Yesterday, we put on our flylady shoes( a great cleaning system) and Benaiah helped me work in the attic.  He asked me before we went up there if we were going in the attic.  No one has said attic to him as far as I know.  I know he has not copied the word from me and I have not been trying to teach him that word.  My heart just soared and I wonder what other words are floating around in his head just trying to find a way out.

     I have been working with him trying to teach him I love you, which if I sign I then he says I, sign love then he says love and when I point to him he says you.  So with alot of prompting it is coming along.  He counted to 5 yesterday- one, two, tee, or, ive.  We count all the time.  The other day he helped me make corn bread and he counted how many of each ingredient.







No comments:

Post a Comment